Monday 17 May 2010

FT-817 Gets Updated After 9 Years

ft817a My trusty little FT-817 is getting a CW filter. I’ve had the 817 for 9 years now and it has never let me down. I have the original 817 not the 817ND version. I’m preparing for Field Day with the Ottawa Valley QRP Society and I’m trying to improve my CW proficiency in time for Field Day 2010, scheduled for June 26th and 27th – the last weekend in June. Even if I don’t reach my goal I’ll use the 817 on PSK. The 500Hz filter should help in that situation too. I also have a new PAR EF-10/20/40 End Fedz QRP antenna on the way. Dale, of PAR Electronics has informed me that between May 21st to the 27th is when he’s taking amateur orders for his End Fedz antennas. He’s extremely busy with his commercial and mil orders when he’s not fulfilling amateur orders.

I want to add that I have had 2 PAR End Fedz (EF-40 and a EF-30) installed as permanent antennas for 2.5 years; they still operate and look like new. Don’t hesitate to use Dale’s antennas in permanent locations. If they can survive Ottawa’s extreme weather conditions they can survive just about anywhere. Highly recommended for either portable or permanent locations. I keep a spare EF-20 in my go kit just in case.

Field Day equipment will include my FT-817, an FT-100 as a spare transceiver, a 15W solar panel and charge controller for my 12V 18A/H gel cell, the PAR antenna and a Buddistick as a spare antenna. I’ll be taking along my Honda EU2000i gen set to run my laptop throughout the operating period.

The bands have been lousy lately and the sun is quiet, no sunspots. Despite the conditions there’s DX on everyday. 17 meters is open as a write this at 20:30Z. Ukraine, Russian and Italian stations are on the PSK section of the band with Americans having QSOs in the phone portion of the band.

VE3MPG Blog posts that mention the PAR antennas

4 comments:

Kieran va3ks said...

I use the PAR EF-10/20/40 as my only HF antenna. What a GREAT antenna. So stealth my neigbours can't even see it from their backyard. A PAR and my 817 and I am smiling...73...Kieran

Bob VE3MPG said...

Thanks for reading the blog Kieran. The PARs are great antennas; well designed and implemented and stealthy too. Now if Dale could make something for 160 meters I'd be all set.

Dick said...

A cw filter is very helpful, especially as the 817 doesn't have dsp. My 817's have the 500 Hz cw filters installed.

Bob VE3MPG said...

My filter should arrive by the end of this week so it will be very helpful on cw. Will give a detailed report during and after installation. Thanks for reading the blog Dick.