Sunday 19 October 2008

PAR End Fedz Antennas = Great DX

20081002-IMG_1747

The PAR EndFedz have been great performers at VE3MPG. My first use was at the Manotick Amateur Radio Group’s Field Day in June. I used the EF-40 meter version of the PAR with outstanding results. We threw it up in a tree, tacked the bottom feed point to a stake and 20080807-IMG_1318the SWR measured flat across the band. We constantly got reports on 40 that "you're the loudest signal on the band here!" In fact this were the comments we got from many of the stations we worked - they included signal reports included with the exchange to let us know how strong we were. My psk station, an FT-950 ran 35 watts all weekend powered by a Honda 2000i generator.

Have just installed my EF-30 PAR EndFed and it tunes up great first time up. The far end is up a white ash tree - 25 feet up and then the feed end is tethered to my support mast.

Make sure that you know your test equipment prior to installing any antenna. My MFJ antenna analyzer was causing all sorts of problems - I was blaming it on the PAR antenna until I ran into the same problem with the 30 meter end fed. Turns out the MFJ-259 had a half dozen cold solder joints and loose ground screws.

par_closeup_detail

T20081002-IMG_1759he various pictures here show details on my masting - it was constructed from 1" x 1" pressure treated scrap lumber that sat unused in my woodshed for years, glued with exterior grade glue, then screwed together with galvanized screws. Notice that the upper sections are cut at 45 degrees so water or snow doesn't accumulate. Two coats of porch paint then spray painted with Rustoleum silver paint. All the screw countersinks and seams were filled with good quality caulking prior to painting. The mast assembly was then permanently affixed to a large wooden planter. Closed eyehooks complete the mast assembly to support coax and rope attached to the PAR match box. This method takes the weight off the matchbox and prevents the wire from sagging too much.

Tonight I get to try out the 30 meter PAR end fed - stay tuned.

20081002-IMG_1755

4 comments:

VE3TWM said...

Hello Bob,
What a beautful site you have created here. It's a pleasure to read and very easy on the eyes with its nice layout. Congratulations and thank you!
I am Tracy McKim VE3TWM out of Burlington. I have a special interest in the PAR End-Fedz antennas; I own the 40m, 20m, 17m, 15, and 10m versions.
The first one I purchased was the EF-40m since it would fit within the confines of my small suburban backyard (just barely!). It has been a solid performer for me on SSB (the only mode I use, that's not a shot at CW or digital but up to this point I've never been able to master the code and have had trouble getting set up for digital modes).
I am curious as to how your Field Day 2009 went with the Par antennas. Last year I operated from a friend's backyard (Randy VE3OZR) and we used both the EF-40 and the EF-20. On 40m we made 64 contacts and on 20m we made 84 contacts. Both antennas were basically flat-top at about 18' above the ground.
This past weekend for FD 2009, we operated from my backyard (1D, commercial power but from a completely temporary setup in a tent with antennas erected that morning), with the EF-40 in a horizontal L configuration at about 20' and the EF-20 as a sloper with the high end at about 35' and the low end at 20'. We ended up with 65 contacts on 40m and 105 on 20m.
I also put up the EF-15m and the EF-10m, but when I checked those bands mid afternoon on Saturday, I was only able to hear and make contacts with 2 stations on each band. I chalked it up to the bands not being fully open as all four contacts were with Maritime stations.
Yesterday, while googling to see what other people experienced during the weekend, I was surprised to see some pople in the northeast part of the continent (Michigan, Indiana) were relating that 10 was wide open and they made many contacts.
I'd be very interested to hear how your group did so I can compare my results to someone else in Ontario.
I have the feeling I should have had more contacts than we ended up with and that I am going to have to make a change for next year if I want to increase my contact count significantly. I was hoping the addition of 15m and 10m would help but no such luck.
The rig here is an Icom 718, so I am also wondering if that is a factor, given the lack of selectivity in this rig compared to some of the more sophisticated rigs.
I'd be very interested in any feedback you might be able to provide, but regardless, thank you again for your very interesting site. The interview with Dale Parr was fascinating!

Bob VE3MPG said...

Hi Tracy, thanks for the comments about the blog and glad you're a regular reader here. I did operate Field Day 2008 with the PAR EF-40. It was a great performer - it was thrown up into a tree with the high end about 40 feet up. Worked lots of stations and consistently good signal reports. A lot of south western stations near Texas were giving reports that said "you are the loudest signal on the band." I was operating PSK with 25 watts and the Yaesu FT-950. The PAR antennas work great and they have survived another harsh winter in their permanent locations here south of Ottawa.

G4NKX said...

Hi BoB:
Interesting to see you have the "Par" up, I have a "Par" equivalent here which I was considering putting back up - It will replace the 40m dipole - it's a 66' end fed with a 6:1 balun at the feed point it works from 80m up -10m, get a fairly good match on most bands, 40m is good, so is 20, and I seem to remember 15m was too - 80m worked but not very efficient so I might add some counterpoise wires. I also liked the idea of your wooden mast - it's given me an idea !
Great pics too - always nice to see how others do things - thats one of the reasons I like blogging, you always learn new tricks.

Cheers for now de Peter

Bob VE3MPG said...

Thanks for the nice comments Peter!

Bob VE3MPG